November 4, 2012

winter magic

Winter Comes Early
Contemplating Breakfast
I've been working on a painting for a group show called Winter Magic. Each painting in the show will be 16" x 16" x 1.5", unframed, with sides painted black. (The gallery wants to present an interesting, cohesive display.) I have done two so far as I wasn't satisfied with the first and wanted to try something different. One is a winterscape with a snowy owl resting on a post, painted in oil. The other is a stylized and abstracted composition, painted in acrylic in a layered effect, using block printing and lots of patterns, usually my favourite style of working. They are decidedly different from each other! Before posting on Facebook and showing the gallery, I would love to get your input. My questions are: "Which do you like better?" and "Which do you think the general art-buying public (in a mountain resort town) would be more likely to buy? Why?"


I would love to hear what you think! If you can't comment then just send me a quick email.

9 comments:

SamArtDog said...

Here's the answer you already know, or you wouldn't be asking. Both.
Sorry, but I can't pick one... any more than you can.
But from a marketing POV, if you want to grow a fan base, choose the style that's the most unique, i.e., the primal landscapes.
Btw, I'd love to see them as murals. Ever done one?

andrea said...

Hi Sam. I have thought about submitting mural proposals a couple of times using this style as it's so adaptable to subject matter, but haven't managed to get off my keester long enough to actually make the proposal. Bad businesswoman, I know. And you're no help!! :)

Rose L said...

Love the owl one.

kj said...

have to say the owl for sure. it shouts winter

love love
kj

dinahmow said...

Hmmm...I'm a bit of an owl buff (as you know) and I have one or two Pratt primals.
Must you submit only one? With Sam Dog on the murals. In fact, didn't I nag you about that?

Caroline said...

I like it well enough but the owl looks more ordinary to me.

I really really love your primal landscape style and reindeer are BIG this year (in the UK anyway)!

emprint said...

It looks like it will be a 50-50 toss up. Although I like the owl I'm partial to "Winter Comes Early." I love all the different and repeat patterning. Obviously, my comments are those of a quilter/fabric artist who loves little pieces. As to saleability I haven't a clue. Which do you like best?

andrea said...

Rose and KJ: I was expecting the owl to be more popular. At first I wasn't sure about it, but it's growing on me.

Caroline: Thought you'd go with that one! :)

Emprint: I love fabric art, too, which is probably why I include so much patterning. Yes, Winter Comes Early is my favourite, too, but I'm far too 'inside' these paintings to be objective.

Diane said...

ack, I should have popped by sooner. I like both but I think the "general buying public" would likely gravitate towards the owl image. I really like your title on that one.